Transmission oil leakage

• Hi!

Greetings from Sweden. I hope it is okay that I use english, since my german is rather crappy.

I have an oil leakage from the transmission. In the picture you can see leakage from maybe 3 different occasions. To me it seems rather much.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZz8niArBR764H1E8

I had the car at a workshop where theyhad a look at it last week. The mechanic said this is something they generally dont try to solve, as it is time consuming and expensive. He said "just drive and then maybe after a while you will need to add oil again".

What do you guys think? What could be done? To me the leakage seems to have become worse.I will place an oil pan or something else below it next time I take it out to discover how much is getting out. Surely it can leak while the car is running as well and if that is the case it will be hard to know when a refill is needed?

The car is in absolutely perfect condition otherwise. Especially the body of the car:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fxk2fu5YkNUtVi9F9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K9TjkdRFQ2zL9ZXt5

• Hy i will try to answer.
    My english ist terrible!
    but i like sweden, was there a lot of times. (Örkelongia) ill think so

Look at first at the kompression. Dirty rings about the Kolben (i dont now the word like Kolben) can be druckt out the "oil" about the Nocke.
    Take a worker like audi.
    Was ich damit ausdrücken möchte:
    Unser schwedischer Freund soll ich Kompression messen und gucken ob die Simmeringe raus gedrückt wurden.

• Thanks! I will look into that. I will drive past Örkelljunga today, but take my Saab 9-5 instead, because of the leakage. I have put an oil pan below it now and will see how much gathers in a couple of days.

Worth to mention is that the workshop said that there was just a small leakage. That was last week, but ofcourse it could have gotten worse.

Take the Cover from the first Front from the Engine.
    The Engine ist at work.
    turn it on / off
    cumming it to you fastly? thats w
    very wrong
    >englich i must write before 20 Years , please excuse<<

No it does leak much, but after stopping the vehicle and watching underneath it I was able to see one drop come out. I watched a minute maybe.

From what I can see from "graveyards" it is possible to buy a used tranmission without any remarks for €100. Would that be a better alternative than to have someone try to fix it?`

How can I know when I am out of transmission fluid/oil? Will the car not shift? Is it dangerous somehow (for the car or me)?

Thanks again!

• Flaps: Ich glaube Du bist auf dem falschen Weg... 00Zeb spricht von "transmission leakage", das ist das Getriebe.

There are not so many places where a transmission can leak its oil.
    - a sealing between transmission and motor #016 311 113B --> oil should leak between motor and gearbox. The gearbox must be removed. It would make sense to also replace the clutch as it is accessible then
    - 2 sealings for the drive shafts #016 409 399B - you should see the oil coming from out of the inner side of an axle. Should be able to be replaced when the gearbox is mounted but that is due to be checked in the repair guide
    - an axial seal #012 301 457C in the back of the gearbox
    - the flexible sealing between the two housing parts of teh gearbox --> needs disassembling of the gearbox. The sealing is a liquid from a tube and must be applied manually.
    - the oil drain plug on the bottom

I cannot recommend the idea of your workshop to just drive and refill. This does no good for your transmission in the long term. You really should either find another workshop willing to do classical repair jobs or maybe a friend who can help you with the repair. Replacing the gearbox with one from a crapyard is a gamble - you do not know how good the gearbox is and how it had been treated before.

All # are the Audi original part nos. referring to an 1988 Audi 80. You can find matching parts from other vendors online. I strongly recommend to purchase the repair guide for the car, especially the gearbox part. You can get it e.g. from VW/Audi out of the ERWIN system for a small price, or you try to find the printed "repair guide" which should be available for your car.

Wish you all the best!

Greetings from SW Germany to Sweden
    Christian

80er: B4 06/92 AAH 2,8E automatic
    Daily: D2 06/99 AQD 2,8 Tiptronic
    Zweit: B6 02/02 BDV 2,4 multitronic
    Oldie: Urquattro 03/83 WR 5gang

• How can I know when I am out of transmission fluid/oil? Will the car not shift? Is it dangerous somehow (for the car or me)?

Thanks again!

If you are out of transmission fluid your gearbox will die rather quickly. The moving parts and bearings need constant lubrication, otherwise they will weld together or break apart. Also there are plastic parts in your gearbox. Those will most likely melt.

First of all, are we talking about a manual or automatic transmission? If manual; 5 or 4 gear, if automatic; with or without sport-shift option?

First of all try to locate where the oil comes from. Try to get under your car, clean underside of the gearbox and then check from which direction the oil comes from.

• There are not so many places where a transmission can leak its oil.
    - a sealing between transmission and motor #016 311 113B --> oil should leak between motor and gearbox. The gearbox must be removed. It would make sense to also replace the clutch as it is accessible then
    - 2 sealings for the drive shafts #016 409 399B - you should see the oil coming from out of the inner side of an axle. Should be able to be replaced when the gearbox is mounted but that is due to be checked in the repair guide
    - an axial seal #012 301 457C in the back of the gearbox
    - the flexible sealing between the two housing parts of teh gearbox --> needs disassembling of the gearbox. The sealing is a liquid from a tube and must be applied manually.
    - the oil drain plug on the bottom

Thanks for your excellent advice. When I get back I will get under the car and use your bulllet points to try to identify the cause.

I cannot recommend the idea of your workshop to just drive and refill. This does no good for your transmission in the long term. You really should either find another workshop willing to do classical repair jobs or maybe a friend who can help you with the repair. Replacing the gearbox with one from a crapyard is a gamble - you do not know how good the gearbox is and how it had been treated before.

Thanks for letting me know about this. For me the workshops advice sounds like something you give to a car you will only keep until the next thing breaks. I want to keep my Audi 80 as long as I can. My grandfather bought it in 1988 and nowadays you dont see that many on the road. They used to be common in Sweden but now even Volvo 740/940 are becoming quite rare.. :)

All # are the Audi original part nos. referring to an 1988 Audi 80. You can find matching parts from other vendors online. I strongly recommend to purchase the repair guide for the car, especially the gearbox part. You can get it e.g. from VW/Audi out of the ERWIN system for a small price, or you try to find the printed "repair guide" which should be available for your car.

If you are out of transmission fluid your gearbox will die rather quickly. The moving parts and bearings need constant lubrication, otherwise they will weld together or break apart. Also there are plastic parts in your gearbox. Those will most likely melt.

First of all, are we talking about a manual or automatic transmission? If manual; 5 or 4 gear, if automatic; with or without sport-shift option?

First of all try to locate where the oil comes from. Try to get under your car, clean underside of the gearbox and then check from which direction the oil comes from.

Its a 5 speed manual transmission. 90 horse power engine. When I get back I will get under the car and have a look. Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!